Welcome to the Hudson-Mohawk Volunteer Firefighters Association
This association was organized on October 10, 1927 and incorporated on May 26, 1936.
The Hudson-Mohawk Volunteer Firefighters Association serves the following counties:
Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Warren and Washington Counties.
We encourage new members to join us!
The Origin of the Hudson-Mohawk Volunteer Firefighters Association
In 1924, the Annual Convention of the Hudson Valley Volunteer Firemen's Association was held in the City of Hudson. Mr. Raymond V. Sutherland was elected as a County Vice President to represent Albany County. The County Vice Presidents were tasked with organizing county groups or associations within their respective counties to speak about fire prevention, to create new fire companies and to bring in new members to join the Hudson Valley Firemen's Association.
Outside of the City of Watervliet, there were few volunteer fire companies in Albany County. On 4/25/27, a fire occurred on part of the Old Shaker Colony near what is now the Albany County Airport. Apparatus and manpower from the City of Albany Fire Department, the Latham Fire Department and the Menands Fire Department responded. Fifteen buildings were lost at an approximate value of $100,000.00. This fire was used to bring the need for fire prevention and various fire protection into the public view. As a result of newspaper write ups, interest was generated and meetings were held in various communities.
On 10/10/27, a meeting was held at Albany Fire Hook & Ladder No. 4 located on Delaware Avenue. As a result of this meeting, the Albany County Volunteer Firemen's Association was formed. Raymond V. Sutherland was elected as the first President of the association.
On 10/24/27, the second meeting was held at the Ravena Fire Department. A slate of permanent officers was elected at this meeting.
A third meeting was held at the Menands Fire Department. The Association was comprised of ten companies and thirty individual members. Meeting procedures were laid down and regular meetings, conventions and bylaws were discussed. Monthly meetings were to be held on the third Tuesday of each month.
The 1st Annual Convention of the Albany County Volunteer Firemen's Association was held at Menands in August, 1928.
The 2nd Annual Convention of the Albany County Volunteer Firemen's Association was also held at Menands in August, 1929. There was much discussion regarding Rensselaer and Schenectady Counties joining the Association. These counties were voted in and the Association's name was changed to the Hudson Mohawk Valleys Volunteer Firemen's Association.
The 3rd Annual Convention of the Hudson-Mohawk Valleys Volunteer Firefighters Association was held in Schenectady at Company No.10 quarters in July, 1930. The word "Valleys" was dropped from the Associations title.
The 10th Annual Convention of the Hudson-Mohawk Volunteer Firefighters Association was held at the Delmar Fire Department in July, 1937. Permission was requested by Raymond v. Sutherland on behalf of his daughter Mrs. Delores S. Meyers to form a Ladies Auxiliary to the Hudson-Mohawk Volunteer Firefighters Association (In October, 1937 at the Fuller Road Fire Department, the Ladies Auxiliary was organized and Mrs. Delores S. Meyers was elected as the first president). Our slogan was to have 100 member companies and 1000 individual members. The "Resume" paper was approved for publication. This paper outlined what had transpired at meetings and where the next meeting was to be held. In November, 1948, the "Boosterline" replaced the "Resume" and is still published by the Association today. The paper features articles, upcoming events and news from member companies and associations located throughout the Hudson- Mohawk Volunteer Firefighters Association and Ladies Auxiliary region.
Note: Information for this history was taken from the writings of Raymond. V. Sutherland, our first president , who is recognized as the founder and organizer of our organization.